At Cozinha do Brasil, we are committed to providing you with the finest culinary experience. Today, we present our exclusive recipe for Vatapá, a traditional Brazilian dish that will transport you straight to the beaches of Bahia. Learn how to prepare this delightful recipe step by step, ensuring that your final result is authentic and bursting with flavor. Keep reading and discover how to make the perfect Brazilian Vatapá!
To prepare Brazilian Vatapá, you will need the following ingredients:
- 500 grams of fresh shrimp
- 2 cups of cornbread
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 1 cup of fish stock
- 2 tablespoons of dendê oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of ground dried shrimp
- 1 cup of roasted and crushed peanuts
- 1 tablespoon of fresh grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon of fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon of fresh chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
Step 1: Ingredient Preparation
- Start by peeling the fresh shrimp and set aside the shells and heads. These will be the base of our fish stock.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat and sauté the shrimp shells and heads until they are golden brown.
- Add the finely chopped onion, minced garlic, and diced bell peppers to the skillet. Cook until they become tender.
Step 2: Fish Stock Preparation
- Pour the fish stock and coconut milk into the skillet and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
- Strain the stock, discarding the shrimp shells and heads. Reserve the resulting liquid.
Step 3: Peanut Paste Preparation
- In a blender, combine the roasted peanuts, grated ginger, and one cup of cornbread. Add enough reserved fish stock to achieve a creamy and thick mixture.
- Blend until you have a smooth paste and set it aside.
Step 4: Cooking the Brazilian Vatapá
- In a large skillet, heat the dendê oil over medium heat.
- Add the peanut paste and the ground dried shrimp paste. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture becomes fragrant and starts to brown.
- Gradually add the remaining fish stock, stirring continuously, until the mixture thickens to your desired consistency.
- Incorporate the cooked fresh shrimp and cook for a few more minutes until they turn pink and are fully cooked.
- Add the fresh chopped cilantro, parsley, and ground cumin. Mix well and cook for an additional few minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serving Brazilian Vatapá
Serve the Vatapá hot, preferably with white rice or a portion of farofa. You can garnish it with fresh cilantro and lemon slices to add an extra touch of freshness.
There you have it! Now you have the definitive recipe for Brazilian Vatapá in your hands. This dish will take you on a culinary journey to the shores of Bahia with its exquisite and authentic flavor. What are you waiting for? Prepare this delightful recipe and impress your friends and family with a true Brazilian feast.
Remember that at Cozinha do Brasil, we strive to provide you with the best traditional recipes from Brazilian cuisine. We hope you enjoy this unique culinary experience!
CURSO DIPLOMADO DE GASTRONOMÍA INTERNACIONAL
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?